avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: Community Questions (Was Re: [Avalon] Major Issues that are in Conflict)
Date Wed, 21 May 2003 14:59:34 GMT

> From: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@apache.org]
>
> What is at stake here is not whether we should help our
> developers, but whether we should allow any one developer to
> over-rule the decision of a community.
>
> The "developer-centric" approach works in corporate
> environments because the team needs to get behind the lead's
> vision or they get fired/ reassigned/etc.

It should be noted that a developer in a corporate setting
that overrules the decision of the corporate equivalent of our
community, that is, management, will be fired.

So we have:

    Apache       Corporate
   ---------     ----------
   Committer <-> Developer
   Community <-> Management

It is my understanding that a corporate developer that overrules
management has handed himself a pink slip.

The same goes for the manager that overrules *his* manager, and
so on, until the CEO gets kicked for overruling the board.

That we have the equivalent of a management consisting of developers
does not change any of that - it just changes the way decisions are
made. But once they are made, the same rules apply.

/LS