avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Naming
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:02:57 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote:
>>documentation got nuked.
>
> As in nuked-doesn't-build or nuked-files-are-gone? There's an index.xml
> in the attic of the old cli project - is that all, or am I missing
> something?

that's it. Someone should copy the text contents of index.xml to the
package.html for CLI. I wanted to but forgot.

> One question regarding CVS surgery - will I be able to
> move naming to compat by doing a mv of the files in the repo
> from naming to compatibility, or should I re-import the stuff
> into compatiblity? Either way goes, I suppose - but for the
> future.

never 'mv' in the repo. Only 'cp -p'. I wrote a "howto" earlier:

#######################################
ssh leosimons@cvs.apache.org # ssh to apache cvs box

# for file permissions, just paranoia -- as you use the -p switch for cp
umask 002

# new location for the CVS/RCS files
cd /home/cvs/avalon-sandbox

# copy the old RCS structure you want to move here, preserving permissions
# this is the only bit of 'magic' where you work around cvs limitations.
cp -Rp ../jakarta-avalon/src/proposal/avalon5 .

exit # back to local box

# nothing fancy here, just removing the old materials using std cvs
commands.
# Could use a GUI client here if you wanted.
cd ~/projects/avalon/jakarta-avalon/src/proposal/
cvs tag -R PRE_MOVE_TO_SANDBOX avalon5/
cvs remove -R -f avalon5
cvs commit -R -m 'removal explanation' avalon5
cvs up -P -d

# tags that existed in the old structure might conflict with those in the
# new structure. If you wish to make sure that is not a problem, you can
# remove all tags in the existing location. Again, just standard cvs
commands.
# Could use a GUI client here if you wanted.
cd ../avalon-sandbox
cvs update -P -d
cd avalon5
cvs log > cvs_history.txt # get cvs logs
cvs tag -R -d SOME_TAG avalon5    # repeat this for all existing tags
cvs add cvs_history.txt
cvs commit -m "history up to $currentdate, including tags" \
     cvs_history.txt
cvs remove -f cvs_history.txt
cvs commit -m 'move history to attic' cvs_history.txt

more info in the cvsbook.

- LSD