avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: avalon-phoenix/src/java/org/apache/avalon/phoenix/components/extensions/pkgmgr/impl DefaultExtensionManager.java DelegatingExtensionManager.java NoopExtensionManager.java OptionalPackageComparator.java
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2003 14:26:18 GMT

Peter Royal wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 30, 2003, at 08:47  AM, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> This commit constitutes a fork of the existing Excalibur Extensions
>> package, resulting in the doubling up of the code to be
>> maintained/managed by Avalon.
>

> I believe the plan was to move Extension to the Excalibur
> Compatibility project:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=105056981008335&w=2
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=105057109509708&w=2
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=105057277811364&w=2
>
> And especially:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=105058203919910&w=2
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=105058376321354&w=2

Your neglecting the conclusion of the thread (this bit where a vote is
taken and the result posted).

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=105068223616095&w=2

> You never answered Berin's second question..

Nothing substantive - identification of some bugs and posting of
solutions. The larely reflects that fact that the package was reasonably
stable before I starting using it.  However, initial usage within Merlin
identifed some recusion errors - since that time no techjnical issues or
bugs have been identifed.  I should point out that I am completely
familiar with the package having spent considerable time working with it.

> We are trying to (a) remove one-man codebases and (b) remove utility
> code. AFAIK, Extension meets the bill for both of those two criteria.

That is accademic.  There was discussion on the subject of this
package.  There was conclusion - no action was agreed to - i.e. no
kicking out, no sandboxing, etc.  This package is in use within Merlin -
it cannot simply dissapear.  Any comments now after a vote on the
subject do not change the result of that vote.

> Saying that the commit "constitutes a fork" implies that there will be
> further development of Excalibur Extension. I do not believe that was
> the case, it appears that it was destined to be deprecated, at least
> in the context of this community.

Absolutely incorrect.
There is some solid documetation work to be done both about the package
and enhancing javadoc.  This will be required no mater what.  I except
to take care of this sometime in the near future.

The conclusion of the discussion was to *not* take a decision at this
time - see 18-APR [VOTE-RESULT] and preceeding discussions.  The
Excalibur Extension package remains an Excalibur package in use by
Merlin and Phoenix.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell