avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Politics (was Re: Evaluation of Excalibur Phase III Release)
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:03:34 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:31, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>>>Could you point out exactly where you asked this? I know there is a bit
>>>of stuff already in commons that binds to avalon services and there is
>>>quite a few people who are interested in supporting avalon based services
>>>there. I would say it is much more likely that a wider variety of Avalon
>>>users would collaborate there than here.
>>
>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=105121643000006&r=1&w=2
>

> Funny - the only push back I see is from Costin (no surprise there) and Juozas
> Baliuka (and he only objects because of visibility loss). I saw others
> supportive of the idea and given how negatively and confrontational you
> presented the case there is no surpise really.

They were more supportive of opening up an "Avalon Commons" of sorts.

>>Leave the politic comments out of it.  The reason for the "politics" is
>>a direct result of a small number of developers.
>

> nope. It is a result of people having power without ever contributing. Why
> would people contribute something when they know that someone else can block
> development for fickle, vindictive reasons? And the blockers need never use,
> contribute to nor have any intention to contribute to the component at hand.

And it is that attitude that I personally cannot change.  It requires
that those people have to want to change.

Now, as to blocking development for "fickle" or "vindictive" reasons, it
is those perceptions and in the past actions that have directly
contributed to the more political atmosphere we have.

Dismantling that is tricky.

However, it is also just as common for people to *assume* that the
reasons are "fickle" or "vindictive" when in truth they are not--
simply because they came from someone you don't particularly like.

Here's the deal, we are a team.  Like it or not the folks who make
up this team need to work *together*.

What I need everyone to do is start being objective.  Think long
term, but keep an eye on short and medium term goals.  Just because
your personality clashes with someone doesn't mean that they are
out to "get" you.  If they are, that will have to be addressed
as well.

>> It is a problem I am
>>attempting to address/squash--but I need all of your help to do it.
>

> So far I have made several complaints to you on and off list. You have chosen
> not to act.
>
> That simple.

You have perceived inaction, when I have acted--but not gotten back to
you.  For that I appologize.  Please bear in mind that I have become
increasingly busy recently, with more responsibility at my paying
job, more responsibility with this group, and more responsibility with
JSR 111 (it is a matter of public record now, I am the new spec lead).

I cannot be superman, the best I can do is the best I can do.

As to making this a less political place, the responsibility rests with
all of us.  That means we each have a responsibility (you, me, everyone)
to learn how to work together and communicate ideas.

There are many contributing factors to where we are, but only one real
solution.  We have to think and act like a team.

-----Chris Rock