avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PMC:Proposal] Opening up access to Excalibur/Sandbox
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2003 08:33:55 GMT

Jeremias Maerki wrote, On 23/04/2003 10.27:
> I can't answer for Paul, but: Not IMHO. I see Excalibur as a first basic
> layer above Framework which provides basic tools and containers for an
> Avalon system. Its sandbox is part of it. Avalon committers live there.
> They develop the basic Avalon environment. Avalon Commons should,
> similar to Jakarta Commons, provide a place where colaboration between
> Avalon-dependant projects happens. Any Apache committer working in an
> Avalon-dependant Apache (sub-)project should have access to a Avalon
> Commons Sandbox upon request and the same rules as in Jakarta Commons
> should be applied for the promotion of components from the sandbox.
>
> I think, this approach would address the reservations of some Avalon
> committers towards admitting other developers because it provides a
> clear separation of basic Avalon tech from commonly used components.

Ok, the fact is that what you call Excalibur will go in the main Avalon
module, and Excalibur is what you call Commons.

There is some misunderstanding based on the fact that Excalibur has been
many things to many people. All container code will go in the main
avalon module. Excalibur is our Component module, not a Container
module. Fortress being in there is 'legacy' in this regard.

I think we basically agree, it's just a matter of understanding each other.

Avalon is:
  Framework     avalon
  Components    avalon-excalibur (Exaclibur) + /outer projects/
  Containers    avalon (SECA) + /outer projects/
  Apps          /outer projects/
  Sandbox       avalon-sandbox

There is no more utility code, just a framework + reference container in
'avalon', and shared component space in avalon-excalibur.

Something between these lines, anyway.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -