avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Excalibur Phase III List
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:18:29 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>> Berin Loritsch wrote, On 17/04/2003 14.20:

>>> Steve, two questions for you:
>>>
>>> 1) Does it really matter where a library is hosted as long as its
>>> usable
>>>    and has a compatible license?
>>>
>>>    IMNSHO, no.
>>

>> IMNSHO yes, especially if it was used knowing that it was part of
>> Apache.
>>
>> He is relying on something that is in Apache and that he has full
>> access to. If it becomes part of something else, he looses access.
>> Furthermore if the code licensed is transferred, it can be
>> closesourced in the future.
>

> What good is access if you don't use it.

What are you suggesting ... that it is not being used?  Are you
suggesting that its usage in Phoenix is not a concern for the Avalon
PMC?  Are you suggesting that Merlin is not using this?  Are you
suggesting that access does not matter?  Access matters.  Control over
the code base matters.

> The thing is we need to focus
> on what we as a greater community will support.  So far the only one
> sticking up for it is Stephen.  So the question is, who else is willing
> to step up to the plate and support it?

Wrong.

The "thing is" that the Avalon PMC has a responsibility towards this
community to engage constructively and supportively on matters relating
to restructuring of the Avalon codebase.  That means going out of our
way to ensure users of the existing code base are not disenfranchised.
More specifically its about the Avalon PMC doing everything it can to
facilitate and support community building actions.  You don't build
community support by dumping code that other members of this community
are using on a day-to-day basis.

> Commons won't support it if the donaters don't.  They don't like to be
> considered a dumping ground.

So stop the dumping inference and start thinking about way in which you
can facilitate the development of a community around this.  A good
starting point would be understand what the package is about - it
happens to be completely relevant to Fortress BTW.  You may also want to
take a look at Leo Simons email about the relationship of jar extensions
and component packaging.  The extension package happens to be central to
the ideas he's presenting there.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell