avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject XAMTAGS
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:13:58 GMT
Without all the long language of Leo's AMTAGS proposal, I would
like to build on the assumptions there, and introduce extension
tags.

Extension tags are tags that are PROPOSED for the avalon namespace,
however they have not been ACCEPTED yet.  This allows early adopting
containers to use the information supplied by these tags and provide
real feedback on how they would work.

So far, we have 2-3 tags that are proposed:

@x-avalon.role
     Marks a Service that is always to be exported.  This works for
     many solutions, but not all--this would be in addition to the
     @avalon.service, but would in no way replace it.

@x-avalon.info name="configName" lifestyle="singleton"
     Marks a component with a configuration name, and its intended
     lifestyle.  Containers that do not support a given lifestyle
     name would reject this component.  Currently, the list of
     lifestyle names are:
       - singleton
       - thread
       - pooled
       - transient

Alternative to the above lifestyle property of the info tag is this:

@x-avalon.lifestyle type="singleton"
     See above for description of lifestyle values.

The major difference between the combined x-avalon.info and the
separated one is that containers that do not want to support all
of x-avalon.info can still validate x-avalon.lifestyle.  I would
propose that it is strictly an either/or choice, we should only
allow the specification of lifestyle in one location.

What are your thoughts?

-----Chris Rock