avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Pruning Avalon Apps
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:00:46 GMT

Paul Hammant wrote:

> Stephen,
>
>>> So that would be:
>>>
>>> mcconnell and .... No other committer.
>>

>> I said there we twelve of us - I didn't say they were Avalon committers.
>>
>>> That spells one man show here.
>>

>> Sigh ......
>>
>>> What good are 12 guys if only one can commit code?
>>

>> They are all committers.
>

> Elsewhere.
>
> I'm going to step in a defend a little. I pair with many people (all
> of whom I credit in the @author tags) on many bits of many things.
> AltRMI mostly.  I'd not go to the extent to call them committers, but
> I would claim their authorship.  I am not abusing my Apache account by
> sharing it, as I oversee all of the lines of code and do the commit
> myself.  People I trust.
>
> Stephen is taking changes from some other CVS depot (a guess) and
> re-applying theme here.

You guessed wrong.

> When the decision point is made on the license they'll all be invited
> to be committers I guess.

It would not make sence here - the focuss of the team is on distributed
computing - not component or service management.

> As such, that would change the dynamic of Avalon massively.
> jakarta-orb would be best for that *despite* its use of
> Avalon-Framework interfaces (our core art).

Usage of avalon framework (and excalibur) is very much as a client with
respect to the core ORB and services (over on SF).  The content here
(aside from a couple of sub-packages) is much more focussed on container
enablement.  Like I said - there is some rationalization that needs to
happen as part of the current OpenORB/Apache Board process.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org