avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Pruning Avalon Apps
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:00:37 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> To that end, I would like to propose that we ensure that
>> HTTPProxy and Enterprise have a new home outside of the Avalon
>> umbrella.  Besides, the more external applications that we have
>> pointing people to Avalon, the more exposure we will have.
>

> Berin:
>
> There is a on-going process with the Board concerning the introduction
> of the OpenORB suite to Apache.  That process is now related to working
> on a license donation agreement.  Once that is resolved then much of the
> content in the Enterprise package can be moved into an "ApacheORB"
> project.  There are some elements (small) that are Avalon specific.
> These include a number of service wrappers than simplify the process of
> using classic CORBA technologies inside Avalon. Both the ORB and
> Corbaloc packages fall into this category and some classes in some of
> the other packages.
>
> There is also a direct relationship between this content and the Merlin
> project related to distributed service management (IIOP based service
> activation, etc.).
>
> Once the license donation is sorted a rationalization could take place.

What about moving it to avalon-sandbox?  I don't see how anything above
changes the fact that we shouldn't be hosting applications that do not
directly make using Avalon easier (i.e. management or assembly related).
It is an exciting thing to potentially have an ApacheORB.  But until
then, there hasn't been alot of activity on Enterprise and it doesn't
seem finished.

If its presence is necessary to the adoption of an ApacheORB, I would
like to have it go in the sandbox.  It looks like we could have one
less repository to deal with--which is a good thing.

-----Chris Rock