avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DevWAv (was Re: Minimum Set of Tags (Revisited))
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2003 14:06:11 GMT
Peter Royal wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 9, 2003, at 09:27  AM, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> Wrong.  XML is only one representation of info.  It happens to be what
>> Phoenix/Merlin uses.  XML is not end all and be all, and packaging
>> is of a secondary issue right now.
>

> But unless we agree on how the container reads out this meta
> information, one will have to recompile their components with the "meta
> generation method of choice" for whichever container they are using.

It is a matter of generating the information.

> No longer can you just download excalibur-datasource-1.2.jar, you need
> to get the source, and parse out the metainfo from the source and
> package it up into the format that the container-of-the-day needs.
> That's a pain in the rear for users, imho.

You can't do that now.  There is no "no longer" about it.  The first
step is agree on the tags.  The second step is agree on how to package
it.

> Why don't we attack this from the other direction: How will the
> container get this information?
>
> I see this discussion as the meta-info xml format discussions of last
> summer in different clothing.

Because I don't want to dredge up this right now.  Remember: one step
at a time.

Technically speacking, we can generate the meta information for all
three of the containers and have them peacefully coexist without
problem in the short term.  I just want to adress one problem at
a time.

-----Chris Rock