avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Contract Documentation
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 17:06:25 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> The "Developing with Avalon" document was designed to document all the
>> (then) known contracts with Avalon.
>

> Developing with Avalon is a guide to "Developing with ECM".
> It is not the defintion of the AF4 contract.

No.  It INCLUDES a guide to developing with ECM.

It also defines the AF4 contracts.

>> The only changes from that that I
>> am aware of are:
>>
>> * ROLE name conventions
>>   - In Phoenix/Merlin it is not required to follow the lookup/naming
>>     requirements.
>
> ROLE is a convention that I happen to disagree with.
> Lookup and naming requirements are ECM specific.

No.  At the time of the writing they *were* contracts.  That has been
relaxed to accomodate Merlin/Phoenix.  We decided that as a community.

>> * Addition of ServiceManager et. al.
>>   - No major contracts or usage differences from the ComponentManager.
>> * Addition of LogEnabled.
>>
>> Any contracts that we as a community do not feel are required, or are
>> not desired have to be ironed out.  They must be ironed out by use
>> cases, not the hypothetical "I think I might one day want to...".
>>
>> Let's lay those out on the table now--in this thread.
>
> The contract are defined in the A4 JavaDoc and the related framework
> specs. It is an insuffiient specification on which to build a
> container.  So first of all - before getting into an detailed answer -
> are you asking about the container to component contract?  If yes - then
> there is lots of undefined content.  If your asking about the semantics
> in idividual artifacts in the framework and the computational contract,
> there this is reasonably complete.  Which question are your asking?

Am am asking whatever question is required (I don't have as fancy a
lingo as you) to find out where liberties have been taken in regards
to what we have long understood to be Avalon contracts.

In the event that a contract that was defined in Developing with Avalon
is insufficient, or are too limiting, we need to discuss it now and put
it on the table.

-----Chris Rock