avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Contract Documentation
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 16:59:19 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> The "Developing with Avalon" document was designed to document all the
> (then) known contracts with Avalon.

Developing with Avalon is a guide to "Developing with ECM".
It is not the defintion of the AF4 contract.

> The only changes from that that I
> am aware of are:
>
> * ROLE name conventions
>   - In Phoenix/Merlin it is not required to follow the lookup/naming
>     requirements.

ROLE is a convention that I happen to disagree with.
Lookup and naming requirements are ECM specific.

> * Addition of ServiceManager et. al.
>   - No major contracts or usage differences from the ComponentManager.
> * Addition of LogEnabled.
>
> Any contracts that we as a community do not feel are required, or are
> not desired have to be ironed out.  They must be ironed out by use
> cases, not the hypothetical "I think I might one day want to...".
>
> Let's lay those out on the table now--in this thread.

The contract are defined in the A4 JavaDoc and the related framework
specs. It is an insuffiient specification on which to build a
container.  So first of all - before getting into an detailed answer -
are you asking about the container to component contract?  If yes - then
there is lots of undefined content.  If your asking about the semantics
in idividual artifacts in the framework and the computational contract,
there this is reasonably complete.  Which question are your asking?

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org