avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Verifying Meta Tags
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 15:04:25 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> Yes - but this is not about extension - its about recognition.
>

> Chill out, man.  Its OK.  First let's iron out the semantics.
>
> We will worry about the "recognition" when it is time.

Cough, cough, .... ummm - "recognition" is central to the semantics.
Recognition is a requirement for reliable component depolyment.  Without
recognition the value and utility of having "common" a.k.a. "container
independent" is very questionable.  It simply takes you the point where
you have a set of tags them themselves cannot be used to express the
necessary information in an non-container specific manner.  When we get
to point where a candidate @avalon is established which can be used
across containers - then - and only then do we have something worth
putting into @avalon namespace.  Prior to that time its process of
establishing what is a workable minimal set.

The workable minimal set requires that there is agreement to "recognize"
a set of semantic constraint declarations that will ensure reliable
execution and/or failure in a controlled manner independently of the
container.  This means that different containers must recognize the
semantics of other containers.  In many cases we can abstract that
criteria so that the overhead per container is minimal but this does no
substract from the issue that @avalon is about cross container tags and
that means dealing with subject.  The common dinominator approach does
not work because this isn;t a comon denominator question.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org