avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Verifying Meta Tags
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 10:39:02 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

Berin:

I've included a few comments below on the individual tags.  These are
mainly reflecting the tags you have defined with the equivalent stuff in
Merlin.  I have a concern related to both @avalon.role and
@avalon.component (for the same reason) - they don't define anything
that we can't figure out from other information (at least that's the
case in the content I've worked with) - maybe more discussion on this is
needed.

Anyway - documentation on the tags used in Merlin are included here
http://avalon.apache.org/sandbox/merlin/tools/tags/index.html - is there
equivalent documentation for the tags your working on?

One more thing - you may want to play around with something similar to
the @avalon.meta.namespace tag - it allow a little more flexibility in
tag naming convensions. See
http://avalon.apache.org/sandbox/merlin/tools/tags/namespace.html for
more details.

> It is my inderstanding that we are OK with the following tags:
>
> On the service interface (optional):
>
> @avalon.role -- marks role interfaces as a role/service directly

What is the function of this tag - what does it generate in Fortress.
In the Merlin environment there are two tags that can be associated with
a interface.  These include the @avalon.meta.version tag, and the
possibly multiple @avalon.meta.attribute tags.  Given that you already
know that the interface is an interface, presumably you can focus on the
declaration of the "features" of the interface that you want to capture.

> On the component implementation:
>
> @avalon.component -- marks the class as a component

I have simpliar concerns about the @avalon.component tag to the above
comments concerns role.  We know that we are dealing with an
implementation class and we can detect if that class contains tagged
information.  I think it is more interesting to focus on qualifying the
features that are required and then triggering processing from those
features as opposed to using what is in effect a component market tag.
For example, the Merlin meta model requires that a version is declared
explicitly (in fact this is the only required tag).

> @avalon.service org.apache.ServiceName -- marks the specified interface
>                                           as a role/service

Would prefer to see this as @avalon.service type="[type-defintion]"
where [type-defintion] = [classname]:[version] where version is  optional.
See http://avalon.apache.org/sandbox/merlin/tools/tags/service.html for
an example.

> @x-avalon.lifecycle singleton -- Marks the lifestyle of the component
>                                  (should be changed to lifestyle)

Loks fine - can you confirm if you using the same arguments as the
Merlin package:
http://avalon.apache.org/sandbox/merlin/tools/tags/lifestyle.html

> @x-avalon.name component-name -- Configuration short name and debug name

I would use "name" in preference to "component-name".
See http://avalon.apache.org/sandbox/merlin/tools/tags/name.html

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell