avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: No Logging (TM)
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2003 07:27:17 GMT

Didier Villevalois wrote, On 03/04/2003 11.08:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> I see logging like the exposition by the component of its
> state.

Excellent description. And that's why AOP is not doing logging. If the
logger is something that just records method entrances-exits, it's not
doing logging, because logging is when the components itself decides to
expose the state, not the way around.

http://www.freeroller.net/page/nicolaken/20030319#title_is_logging_an_aspect

> Most of the time it is error reporting. But there would have use
> cases where exposition of the component state is about exceptional
> situtation yet not erroneous. (However it is possible, and many do, to
> use exception for positive exceptional situations.)

But not correct, I agree.

>> What about a standard JDK java.util.Observer?
>
> Yes and EventObjects may be also good candidate.

But that's only a marker interface, while the other has a method to get
the thing to observe.

> However IMHO they do
> not render the instantaneous apparition of such situation.
>
> The join point reflective object is such a thing in aspect-oriented
> programming. Thus you may take profit of it for doing logging or what
> ever thing. You just have to take the appropriate decision depending on
> what the situation is. This would really decouple. However you certainly
> find the need to have aspects every time too much coupling.
>
> Nevertheless, in an aspect, i would use an API to log too. I was
> thinking of using LogEnabled/Logger pattern. But if such a API exists
> that is reified as Nicolas suggests it, i would be the first to use it. ;)

Cool!

My point is that I want to write in the code what I want to say. And
that I don't need other jars in the classpath for it. And that if nobody
registers for it, then nothing happens.

>>> Does anyone want to help me crisp this up?
>>

> How can we ??

Imagine using only Java classes for it.
What JDK class/interface should we use as a "logger/monitor"?

> Would like to/could help too.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -