avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <P...@thoughtworks.net>
Subject Re: No Logging (TM)
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 05:37:34 GMT
Nicola

> [...]

> public interface Notifier{
>     void notify(Object[] notifications);
> }
>
> [..]
>
>  setNotifier(myNotifier);
>
> [..]
>
>  addObserver(java.util.Observer o);

 > But... this would mean that we would need a notification.jar that has
the above interface. Interfaces are bad for API coupling.

That last a bit sweeping.  Interface/impl separation is a good thing in
general.  Premature publication of an interface model is a bad thing.

My take is that the use of a simplified interface is neat in that it
means that an evolving package will never cause compilation errors in
user-community code.  However, given it is a black-box, there would be
nothing to stop it it breaking at /runtime/ if a slight difference
occured on the arrays of objects being passed into the black-box.

The same thing another way - I'd like to be informed by the compiler
that there is some subtle change in API.  It helps me have high test
coverage. Of course test coverage is irrelevant if your only view of
monitoring is logging to a text file somewhere in a file system.  My
contention on testing and TDD is that logging (as a means to an ends) is
not an API, thus not test-worthy.

Thus, I err towards a strong interface design and away from a
loosely-coupled design like those above.

Regards,

- Paul

--
http://www.thoughtworks.com -> The art of heavy lifting.
Home for many Agile practicing, Open Source activists...