avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <P...@thoughtworks.net>
Subject No Logging (TM)
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 21:56:21 GMT
Folks,

    http://incubator.apache.org/projects/altrmi/monitors.html

I've reworked AltRMI to use a Logger impl agnostic design.  Basically
the idea is that by default AltRMI logs to the command-line using
system.out unless an individual instance (our important distinction) of
a server or a client has had setMonitor(..) called.  I've coded adapters
for Log4J, A-F Logging, Commons-Logging, Java 1.4 Logging.  I've also
coded a NullLogger.  Anyway, the user of the reusable bean/comp has max
flexibility WRT logging (or not). They are not dependent at runtime on
*any* logging framework if they don't want to be.

Does this concept have legs?  My feeling is that application coders
choose a logging mechanism, but bean/comp coders should not do so.  My
proof for the this is born from TDD.  Why log? - You don't test the
textual output to a logger? If you do it is pointless testing it as no
deterministic use of that textual dump is ever coded. for a bean/comp
user.  Much better a monitor.

It certainly has flaws.  Namely, you should wait a while until you
finalise your monitor interface.  And suffer the impact of change thru
revisions.

Does anyone want to help me crisp this up?  I'd hope that a decent
document can be created and we can approach other groups to help with a
rollback of static logging (or hard wired logging impls).

Regards,

- PAul

--
http://www.thoughtworks.com -> The art of heavy lifting.
Home for many Agile practicing, Open Source activists...