avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: Excalibur Phase III List
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2003 01:00:16 GMT
On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:54, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote:
> >On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 02:48, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >>Extension
> >
> >not a stable API so probably should not be released. Probbaly will
> > eventually get migrated out.
>
> I disagree with you conclusion.

Avalon is not doing utility code anymore. It is util code.

> why do you think it should not be released as is?

backwards compatibility will not be maintained. I am the only maintainer for
code.

> Just for reference - do you have any other "decoupling" plans?

The list of util code I will be moving out has been sent to this list a couple
of times in the past. Look in the archives.

As to the rest. Anything that is not maintained by the whole of Avalon or at
least a significant portion I will push to migrate out. Berin has already
indicated that he is going to migrate event to SEDAv2 or something?
Datasource should also migrate out and I think Berin wanted that but he was
not the sole author so whoever else has contributed to it (Leif?, Leo?) will
need to decide where it is to go.

xmlutil/sourceresolve/store should all be migrated back into the cocoon
project as that is where they belong, have a community and will be
maintained.

pool gets deprecated and eventually axed from excalibur.

logger/monitor/thread may/may not stay depending on how well they are
maintained but as it stands things don't look great for them.

instrument I would like to keep here but ultimately it is up to the authors of
it.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald