avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: avalon-framework **Util.java
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:04:04 GMT
On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 21:49, Leo Sutic wrote:
> > From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@realityforge.org]
> >
> > From memory the files that need to be factored out include;
> >
> > logger.Loggable
> > logger.AbstractLoggable
> > logger.LogKit2AvalonLoggerAdapter
> > logger.LogKitLogger
> > logger.Log4jLogger
> > configuration.ConfigurationUtil
> > configuration.DefaultConfigurationBuilder
> > configuration.DefaultConfigurationSerializer
> > configuration.NamespacedSAXConfigurationHandler
> > configuration.SAXConfigurationHandler
> >
> > And I think there was one more somewhere ... forget.
>
> Jdk14Logger (for JDK1.3)?

doesn't really matter either way. It wont work in JDK1.3 regardless of where
you put it ;)

> All of these seem to be things that would go out in an interface/impl
> separation.

maybe. I would still just go the path of separating out things that needed
separation due to external dependencies as many of my components use what
would be considered "impl" parts.

What we could do is migrate the Logkit adapter into the Logkit project and ask
Log4j to host the Log4j adapter. Then we are left with just the XML deps
which disapear as a problem in JDK1.4.

> If we keep a big jar for backwards compatibility, but
> offer interface/impl jars as an alternative, then is there any
> reason why this can't make it into next AF release?

Nope. I think it was voted on in the past but no one actually stepped up to do
the work.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald