avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject [RT] Commons is not a Dumping Ground
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2003 08:04:19 GMT
All,

a couple of times we have found that some utility code we needed
simply wasn't available. The solution has been to write our own.
Excalibur/Concurrent, Excalibur/CLI and others have been created
to satisfy a need that later on was filled by some other package.
In many cases, however, there never were another package -
Excalibur/Extension, for example, have no other, properly licensed
counterpart we can switch to.

The solution is those cases have been to move the code to some
other project - most often Jakarta Commons, and lately Spice. The
problem here is that neither Commons nor Sopice are somewhere you
can just dump code and walk away. The other problem is that there
is some effort involved in the move - import declarations and so
on must be changed, dependent jar files changes etc. For Spice,
you may get licensing issues as well.

I therefore propose that any utility code be developed in
the Jakarta Commons Sandbox, as soon as possible in the code's
life.

   "We do have an open-door policy for the sandbox CVS
    (jakarta-commons-sandbox). Any Jakarta committer is
    entitled to write access to the sandbox upon request,
    no vote required, no questions asked. Just subscribe
    to jakarta-commons-sandbox, and request authorization."

That would allow the following:

 + We would still have access to the code (which we don't
   have if we just give it to a Commons project, unless
   we're Commons committers).

 + No "dumping" of code.

 + We can use the package name org.apache.commons.*, so
   binary and source compatibility is *right* from the
   start.

We also gain exposure.

For example, Excalibur/Extension could move to
Commons/Sandbox. If it is useful, I'm sure it can become
a "proper" non-sandbox project.

/LS