avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] lifecycle release
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:57:57 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 22:55, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>
>>Hooahh, and how much of that will affect me, just starting to migrate my
>>"legacy" application to Avalon-Phoenix?? Not at all? A little bit?
>
> If you are using just framework/phoenix then not at all. If you use some of
> the other components (excalibur, cornerstone) then you may be required to
> change package names but we will provide a clear migration path.

indeed! Consider the amount of trouble you have replacing apache 1.3
with 2.0. We're aiming at a similar stable migration path, if there is a
need for one. Apache is about solid, quality software, and avalon is no
different.

As a general suggestion, when you're new to an open source project
mailing list don't get too scared of wild ideas flying around all the
time. We do that a lot, like spending a month or two talking about a
radical new avalon 5, and then what happens in the end is that we
solidify our release process even more and remove an '@depcrated' tag
from 2 or 3 sourcefiles :D

cheers!

- Leo