avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject Socket logging (was RE: Hierarchy.java)
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2003 00:22:18 GMT
Steven and Peter,

Thanks for the explanations.

I'll have look at SocketTargetFactory.  I haven't done it, but I assume that
there is no problem muxing logs, so that I can have my separate log files,
and a merged logger that writes to a local socket.  Doing that would allow
me to use a socket reader with tail, such as:

  socketread --port=localhost:xxxx | tail -n 0 -f - <file list>

I might be able to modify dog to be the socket reader, otherwise it isn't
overly challenging to code one.

Alternatively, perhaps Peter would post up his "dodgy syslog-like server."

OK, I've been looking at the source for SocketOutputTarget.  There appears
to be an issue.  The constructor attempts to bind the socket.  A socket
listener may not be available, or always available.  Seems to me that the
class should be (re-)binding as necessary when logging the data.

Comments?

	--- Noel