avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [logkit] Closeable .. ma no Openable?
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2003 23:43:20 GMT
Peter,

Remember the issue that we discussed related to socket logging?  And if you
are going to allow re-configurable logging, e.g., via JMX, then won't the
admin beans need to be able to reconfigure, open, close, etc.?

Basically, I think that the idea of configurations being immutable ought to
go away as much as possible (at least from a JMX administration
perspective).

	--- Noel

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@realityforge.org]
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2003 15:54
To: dev@avalon.apache.org
Subject: [logkit] Closeable .. ma no Openable?

Hi,

I have added a Closeable interface into Logkit but as yet there is no
Openable
interface. The question becomes - is there a need for an Openable interface
ala

interface Openable
{
  void open();
}

That way we could reopen targets after we have closed them vie Closeable.
But
as the configuration of targets is generally immutable I am not sure there
is
any benefit in that?

Alternatively we could just add an extra interface like

interface ActiveTarget
{
  void open();
  void close();