avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Schaible, Jörg" <Joerg.Schai...@gft.com>
Subject Eclipse Equinox
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 13:51:19 GMT
Hello Avalon developers,

recently a new Eclipse project started to discuss and develop strategies for
their runtime configuration (http://www.eclipse.org/equinox/index.html). The
Eclipse team faces currently major problems with all the several plugins
unsing different versions of the same archives having interdependencies. Also
the complete plugin management and the component distribution is under
discussion.

While they first looked for an OSGi (http://www.osgi.org/) implementation, that
would cover a lot of their problems, they had to realize that this free
standard does not guarantee, that all elements of it may be free of any
patent royaltees.

Looking at the broad range of Avalon I am quite sure, that Avalon has a lot to
offer in this context too, but I do not feel competent enough to present Avalon
in any ongoing discussion at their newsgroup. May be one of you is interested
in this, since I could imagine that the usage ov Avalon technology in Eclipse
would give Avalon a lot of awareness and would help to bring the complete development forward.

Regards,
Jörg