avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sevak / cuts and snips.
Date Sat, 29 Mar 2003 23:00:21 GMT

Paul Hammant wrote:

> Folks,
>
> What do people think about some small refactorings of Sevak? : I think
> perhaps that we could split the thing into essentially four
> sub-projects of apps.
>
> 1) The API, demo WAR file(s) and unit tests. (makes one jar plus some
> WARs)
> 2) Jo Sevak (makes one jar)
> 3) Jetty Sevak (makes one jar)
> 4) Catalina Sevak (makes one jar)
>
> If we do this we could try to use Maven, which is nearer completion
> now.  We get lots of freebies with Maven, like an easy and
> comprehensive site.  The real benefit would be less of an obscure
> build design. A lower bar to entry if you like.
>
> Stephen, what is your experience of Maven with Merlin?  Working out or
> not?  Any ideas for Sevak?

Compostite building is working fine.

  $ cd merlin
  $ maven merlin-dist
  $ maven merlin-site

Reporting from a composite code base has bugs.  For example the source
listing break, todo's are not generated, some odd things with javadoc
creation (missing images and so on).  These problems only occur when
attempting to build a single considated site from multiple projects.
When building a site for a direct project the results are rather good.

No idea about gump integration - but I have a suspision that Leo may
have addressed this.
Have not looked into Forrest integration.

Re. opinions - servak seperation would make it easier for people to
grasp what is there.

Cheers, Steve.

> Regards,
>
> - Paul