avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Excalibur-Monitor
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2003 14:07:16 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote:

>>From: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@apache.org]
>>
>>Your processor might be able to handle the load 100 times
>>over, but the disk drive has physically moving parts that can
>>only move so fast.
>

> Look people, GUMP blows up on that one. End of discussion.
>
> We have a bug, or at least a use case where the monitor algorithms
> aren't working properly.

I have struggled on how to write that testcase so that we prove
the functionality works--but also in a heavily loaded environment.

If you have any ideas on how to do it, do it.  I am offering
explanations as to the *cause* of the problem--so you can come up
with a better solution than I have.  What you see is as smart as
I could get on that particular testcase.  Do we remove the test,
and make it a question mark if it really does what is advertised,
or do we make the test last up to 10 minutes (hopefully disk
activity will have died down by then), or what?

Please advise.  Oh, BTW, don't need to get hostile.