avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: @avalon
Date Sat, 22 Mar 2003 17:33:39 GMT

Peter:

Having gone over the lifestyle architectural model several time, I
completely agree with you that there are multiple viewpoints that can be
applied from a pure computation level.  However, in practice this is not
needed.  The four lifestyle are representation of something like 98% of
actual cases, and furthermore, they do not exclude custom lifestyle
handlers (at least in the case of Fortress and Merlin).  This represents
a compromise between architectural purity as opposed to the pragmatic
approach of keeping things simple and understandable).

With respect to the meta-data versus meta-info argument you are raising.
   IMO the lifestyle tag it is meta-info, communicating to a container
that the *type* of component requires a particular level of attention
with respect to the way lifestyle semantics are handled.  This is not
metadata.  In the Phoenix platform there is no notion of a lifestyle
simply because Phoenix assumes a singleton lifestyle policy. As we move
towards greater portability of components, Phoenix has to be able to
recognize components that it cannot handle.  The lifestyle tag is one of
the criteria expressed by a type that ensures this.

More generally, I think there are more important things to address here.
   Clearly the declaration of common tags is a first step towards
achieving consistency in the specification of meta-info criteria.  I
would argue that the process would be more constructive if we made the
assumption that a certain set of tags exist - and from that assumption,
work on ensuing that the respective interpretation of those tags by
different tools and resulting meta-info are consistent.

Stephen.