avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: avalon-excalibur/fortress/src/java/org/apache/avalon/fortress/impl/handler ComponentFactory.java
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:30:08 GMT

Leo Simons wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> Re: the following change to the Fortress ComponentFactory.java:
>>
>>  +            final String message = "WARNING: " +
>> m_componentClass.getName() +
>>  +                " implements the Composable lifecycle stage. This
>> is " +
>>  +                " a deprecated feature that will be removed in the
>> future. " +
>>  +                " Please upgrade to using Serviceable.";
>>  +            getLogger().warn( message );
>>  +            System.out.println( message );
>>
>> Is this level of noise necessary.  Firstly, I think the System.out is
>> uneccessary and has the potential to become annoying for anyone with
>> large numbers of Composable components.
>

> +1. Printing messages to system.out is annoying in general; its why we
> have logging :D
>
>>  Secondly, the log message at the level of "warn" seems to me to be
>> excessive. I would consider a debug level log as much more appropriate.
>

> don't think so; debug is disabled in most production systems. Would it
> make you happy if "that will be removed in the future" were to be
> snipped?

Not really!

Look - we moved to a soft deprecation of Component and family because of
the agrivation that the deprecation messages generated.  The changes
above move that aggrivation to a system administrators - which is way
worse because they don't care and should not care if its Servicable or
Composable - they want Workable and Reliable.  They will set warn
enabled as a indicator of a potential problem - however, this change
will result in lots of repetative statements about a subject that is
irrelivant to the user.

> We really do want our users to move away from Composable. How we
> should tell them is a bit of a matter of preference. Some annoyance is
> good :D

Create an ant audit task.  It goes over the *developers* code and spits
out *one* and only one message to the *developer* stating that the
codebase contains n occurances of classes referencing the deprecated
component package and a URL to a page containing migration notes.

Cheers, Steve.

> cheers,
>
> - Leo

Stephen J. McConnell