avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: @avalon
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:45:32 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:21, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>>The name
>>--------
>>
>>The name tag is short convenience name that refers to a particular full
>>qualified classname. In Phoenix this is not used in the meta-generate
>>utilities but is supported in the blockinfo DTD.
>>

>It has never been used in Phoenix and should be deprecated.

Great - no problem here - it's a tag Phoenix can ignore.

>>The lifestyle
>>-------------
>>

>is in no way is it cross container so should be out of avalon namespace.

I guess its clear that I disgree with that opinion.

Seems to me that cross-container lifestyle is what is happening between
Fortress and Merlin. Currently Phoneix employs what is equivalent to the
singleton lifestyle.  There are three completely viable approache that
can considered (a) Phoenix ignores the lifestyle tag, (b) Phoenix
rejects non-singleton lifestyle components, or (c) Phoenix upgrades to
provide this functionality.

>>Service tag
>>-----------
>>

>two different tags for two different purposes. One declares services exported
>by components and one declares an interface that can be exported from
>components.

Possible.

>>In both Phoenix and Merlin a service are versioned.  Fortress does not
>>deal with service versions at this time.  I should also note that
>>Phoenix meta generation tools do not appear to provide version support.
>>

>Phoenix does not version its services. That is just legacy from before.

Phoenix documentation (specs and example) seem to suggest it is
supported. I know of several phoenix components that will break if the
service version support were retracted.

>>Extensions required for Phoenix
>>
>>@avalon:mx interface=<classname>
>>@avalon:configuration schema=<schemaspec>
>>
>>These tags don't appear to be supported in the Phoenix meta-generation
>>

>yes they are.

Maybe you could update the documentaton.

http://avalon.apache.org/phoenix/bdg/doclet-tags.html

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org