avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] lifecycle release
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:06:21 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 18/03/2003 10.55:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> What is so eeevil about it? What makes javadoc tags as attributes much
>> better?

> I would be proposing to *namespace* comments, so
> that we have a easily parserable way to separate concern areas in the
> syntax.
>
> so
>
>  // --> single line comment
>
>  /* */ --> multiple line comment
>
> would be general comments
>
>  /** */ --> javadoc comment
>
> [there is no single-line javadoc comment]
>
>  /*+ */ --> metadata
>
> [there is no single-line metadata comment]
>
>  //[...] --> single-line AOP
>  /*[...] */ --> multiple-line AOP
>
> where [...] is the aspect associated with it

Hey, that's the same thinbg I'm saying :-D

You said

   //[...] --> single-line AOP
   /*[...] */ --> multiple-line AOP

I said

   //@...  --> single-line AOP
   /*@... */ --> multiple-line AOP

Just syntax ;-)

>                            - o -
>
> the above would, for example, solve the current cocoon issues with
> making the flow and the instrumentation modular.

For instrumentation, I agree. For the flow, I'm not sure. Actually I
tend to think it's not so.

> and could well be implemented with a code prepreprocessor.

Yup.

> but there is something in the back of my mind that keeps setting my
> elegance alarms off and I don't know what this is.

Zut zut, the problem is that multidimensionality is always inelegant to
map do 2d.

We could make relational source codes, (like relational dbs WS flat
table or trees), but then we would need a special editor for them, etc
etc and it would become a mess.

> One thing if for sure: the java syntax was not designed to be aspect
> orientable. so every solution will be partially hacky. We have to accept
> his until the new best-of-breed language comes around.

Which I still do not see BTW.

See, it's not se eeevil after all ;-P

             - verba volant, scripta manent -