avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Minimal set of component attributes?
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2003 06:56:11 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>
>>> I have some rudimentary support for using attributes to represent
>>> components and their roles.  The core mechanisms in Fortress have
>>> not changed, but I am adding a new RoleManager that can read a
>>> resolve components from several different jars automatically.
>>>
>>> It will be used in my GUIApp system--but I want to put it in Fortress
>>> before we release as well.  I want to mark the services and components
>>> with a minimal set of attributes--which will get our users used to
>>> added functionality in Merlin and Phoenix.
>>>
>>> I can think of the following *core* attributes:
>>>
>>> @avalon.service   -- Required for marking role interfaces.
>>

>> Are you using this as a marker attribute in an interface soruce or a
>> attribute of a component class?
>>
>> i.e. @avalon.service <---- this is a work interface
>

> This one.  It is much easier to mark an interface with a flag
> than to rely on the fact that I have a memory like a seive.

LOL :-)

Know what you mean.  However, it's problamatic in that it locks you into
a model where the interface can only be a work interface and cannot be
applied as a internal interface.  I've thought about the same approach
with respect to lifecycle stages in Merlin and reached the conclusion
that its too restrictive - ended up focussing on explicity declaring the
published services, lifecycle extensions, etc.  in the component. But
keep in mind that what I have been doing is still real early.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org