avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: Source and Binary for FtpServer
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:45:06 GMT

Paul Hammant wrote:

>>The implementation is also tied to the Phoenix BlockContext - which
>>limits portability to some extent.
>>

>I am fairly sure this can go. I've looked into it before.

This is good news!

My immediate feeling is that we should not do anything suddenly
concerning FTP.  Instead - at least what's circulating in my mind - is
to take care of the underlying components first.  As you known there is
already independent component builds for some of the blocks in
Cornerstone - but this probably needs some more restructuring.  The
independent block builds are largely driven by the James dependencies.
The FTP app introduces additional dependencies that we should perhaps
address as part of the release plan.  If we can get to a point where we
have the FTP app building against release blocks then I would be much
more comfortable thinking about a possible home and ensuring that the
relationships between the FTP app and cornerstone and well defined and
maintainable.

Does this make sense?

Cheers, Steve.

>- Paul