avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] lifecycle release
Date Sat, 15 Mar 2003 14:48:58 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> The framework is not being touched.

Then all my points where moot. Sorry for wasting your time over my
misunderstanding.

> Ok - I have no problem with a reference to Merlin as a one-man-commit
> effort.

Ok.

> Ok, technically I'm wrong - there are at least 3 others that
> have comitted to Merlin and at least 6 that has submitted patches.

Yeah, well, this doesn't count as a community-driven design methodology
in my book. Hopefully it doesn't in yours as well.

> Bottom line - would I want it to be any different - yes and no. No in
> that I have may hands full getting Merlin to a state where I am ready to
> say to the rest of the Avalon Community "here it is, let's go".

Nice to hear that.

> Until
> that time I'm happy to be somewhat in control.

Oh, I have no problems whatsoever in one person having control of a
proposal for a new generation of software. I've done it myself several
times and I've seen people doing it without creating community problems.

> But please recognize that
> control is relative. Control in this context means multiple days
> responding to the wims of the avalon community. Ok, yes - it would be
> nice to have a couple of other comitters pumping away - but to be honest
> - its just not stable enough at this time and they would probably cause
> more work than assistance. Take for example the patches from Jörg to
> internationalize the command line interface - the CLI logic has been
> restructured and not the German language messages he submitted are
> inconsistent with the behavior.
>
> To be really honest - a few more weeks is needed. The service access
> mechanisms on the Block interface need top be finalized and there is a
> bunch of documentation that needs to be updated. After that it's open game.

don't feel pushed. I don't want to push anybody, just to understand.

Now that my alarms set by misunderstanding are off and now that I was
able to get people recognize that if a valuable committer has a problem
with the technical issues involved the community should value his
contribution (no matter what language he/she used to express it), I'm
happy and I can go back to work.

Please understand that I don't have time/energy to follow deeply the
technical discussions here on avalon-land.

I just want to make sure this community is happy and safe and healthy so
that I can finally leave with lots of trust.

i'm getting more and more closer to that point.

And this is making me happy and it's a good thing.

Stefano.