avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] lifecycle release
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 21:54:58 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>>> Hooahh, and how much of that will affect me, just starting to
>>> migrate my "legacy" application to Avalon-Phoenix?? Not at all? A
>>> little bit?
>>>

>> Please note that the comments express by Peter Donald should in no
>> way be considered as a position of this community or in any way
>> reflective of the community consensus.
>

> I think everybody around apache knows that and Niclas has been around
> for enough time to know this very well.

Please excuse my ignorance.  I have not had the opportunity of meeting
Niclas Hedhman on-line or off.  From his comments it was apparent to me
that he considered the comments and opinions as expressed by Peter
Donald's as in some way or form an indication of the community opinion.
My response was provided with the objective of reassuring Niclas Hedhman
that the Avalon Community has not taken any such decision.  I would like
to reassert the point that the opinions stated by Peter Donald are his
own and should not be interpreted in any way or form as a reflection of
the opinions of the Avalon Community at this time.

>> Irrespective of the actions of Peter Donald within or external to the
>> Avalon Community, concrete and viable solutions exist today to
>> protect any investment you make into the development of Phoenix
>> components.  However, from a pragmatic development perspective, I
>> would strongly recommend that you do not use interfaces or classes
>> under the phoenix namespace - which simply means that you are
>> building a portable component.  For more information concerning the
>> development of a code base that is container independent - you can
>> email requests to either the user or dev list.  For an example of a
>> complex Phoenix style application that is maintaining container
>> independence please take a look at the James project.
>

> Can we stop throwing FUD and get back to work together?

You prior email referred to the Avalon Lifecycle project as a "hack".
This email refers to real and pragmatic suggestions concerning the use
and development of components related to Phoenix as FUD.  I'm assuming
your "hack" remark was made with the same degree of indifference to the
subject as the message from Peter Donald.  Should I assume your FUD
remark is made is the same vain or should I assume that you have
something more substantive to put forward?

Lets' focus on the important aspects.  There is in my personal
perception - some degree on instability related to the Phoenix project.
I (personally and as a community member) do not consider this as a
problem on the grounds that (a) there are several members of the Phoenix
community that are capable of maintaining the product, and (b)
components developer for Phoenix can be deployed today in non-Phoenix
containers.  I.e. in the worst case scenario there is a viable solution
for the user community.

> Sheesh.

No familiar with that particular word.

:-)

> if there is something wrong with Phoenix, what stops you from going
> there and fix it instead of whining or even propose your own version
> of it?

Sorry - but where exactly am I whining about Phoenix? I am only
presenting those actions that I happen to consider as the most
appropriate for any developer using the Phoenix product.  Based on the
comments from Peter Donald, he is clearly and without community
consultation undermining the decisions of the same community.  Peter
Donald has the right to do this - however, as a member of this
community, I am concerned about the interests of users of the Avalon
technologies.  In particular up on the top-seven of my concerns are the
users of the Phoenix application.  The community surrounding this
application are demonstrating a very clear silence with respect to the
technical direction of the project with the single exception of Peter
Donald.  In that particular case, Peter Donald is choosing to undermine
community interests in favor of his own.  Naturally, while I don't
endorse this actions - I am concerned with the impact of his actions on
the greater Avalon Community.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell