avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] lifecycle release
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 19:28:34 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
> >> after that, nobody should be able to place vetos. avalon is owned by
>
>>> the community, not by individuals.
>>

>> +1
>

> a few hours before the same Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> -1 (veto)
>

> I'm starting to find this list rather funny.

What do you find funny?

Do you find it funny the fact that after community discussion of the
subject of rationalization and consideration of Avalon - and the
resulting decision to migrate from Excalibur CLI to Commons CLI, that
Peter Donald changes the Phoenix CVS to (a) reference a forked version
of the CLI package (b) contravening the ASL license, (c) in
contravention with community consensus, and (d)  without any
consultation with the Avalon Community?  Personally I don't find that funny.

While I do see signs of a certain level of disrespect by Peter Donald
for the Avalon Community and the ASF, I don't see any reason to hold
this against him personally.  After all - there is nothing in our bylaws
that require committers to engage with and support the consensus of
opinion of the communities to which they are associated. If you consider
the actions of Peter Donald and the veto that I have put in place, it
will not take a major leap of understanding to reach the conclusion that
I simply stating to Peter Donald that the changes that he has made are
not acceptable based on the information available to me. I remain open
and receptive to comments from Peter Donald and/or other ASF commiters
as to why the introduction of dependencies with an external source
repository offering an inferior solution to the Jakarta Commons CLI
package is beneficial to the Avalon or ASF community.  If you have a
specific opinion on this matter I am more than will to listen to it. If
on the other-hand you remark is simply a throw-away line designed to
undermine a veto then I can safely ignore it.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org