avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] lifecycle release
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 18:36:39 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>>> Please don't. I have been fairly open about what I am going to be doing
>>> over next bit.
>>>
>>> I am moving all the code out that I am sole author for. I am encouraging
>>> others to do the same - I hope within a few months that most of
>>> avalon-apps
>>> will be gone and significant portions of excalibur will also be gone.
>>> Paul
>>> has already moved some stuff out, as has Eung-Ju and I. I have been
>>> poking
>>> the other Peter to do the same.
>>>
>>> In time I will start poking some of the Cocoon peeps to migrate some
>>> of the
>>> Cocoon originated stuff back into Cocoon - much better for Cocoon
>>> that way
>>> and hopefully better for Avalon.
>>>
>>> Post fortress release I intend to attempt to get framework cleaned up;
>>> marker interfaces, component.*, *Selectors deprecated. Provide a solid
>>> ECM-> fortress migration path and finally start process of dumping the
>>> crappy code we have been carrying for ages.
>>>
>>> At the same time I have consolidating Phoenix. Basically means
>>> getting unit
>>> tests solid and trying to get 95% test coverage on all the supporting
>>> libraries. I also plan to make it more agile by reducing dependencies,
>>> reducing duplication, internal decoupling and so forth.
>>>
>>> In the end I want to see the majority of cornerstone/excalibur/apps
>>> gone.
>>> Framework to be half deprecated, docs to be decrufted. Hows that for
>>> sneaky?
>>>

>> Hooahh, and how much of that will affect me, just starting to migrate
>> my "legacy" application to Avalon-Phoenix?? Not at all? A little bit?
>>

> Please note that the comments express by Peter Donald should in no way
> be considered as a position of this community or in any way reflective
> of the community consensus.

I think everybody around apache knows that and Niclas has been around
for enough time to know this very well.

> Irrespective of the actions of Peter Donald
> within or external to the Avalon Community, concrete and viable
> solutions exist today to protect any investment you make into the
> development of Phoenix components.  However, from a pragmatic
> development perspective, I would strongly recommend that you do not use
> interfaces or classes under the phoenix namespace - which simply means
> that you are building a portable component.  For more information
> concerning the development of a code base that is container independent
> - you can email requests to either the user or dev list.  For an example
> of a complex Phoenix style application that is maintaining container
> independence please take a look at the James project.

Can we stop throwing FUD and get back to work together?

Sheesh.

if there is something wrong with Phoenix, what stops you from going
there and fix it instead of whining or even propose your own version of it?