avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] lifecycle release
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 18:27:34 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 22:10, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>This is the problem and Peter appears to be the only one *really*
>>watching over what's going on in this project. Probably because he's
>>doing some sneaky moves himself so he's more sensible about them.
>

> Please don't. I have been fairly open about what I am going to be doing over
> next bit.

Sorry, you are right, that was a little over the line. I apologize.

> I am moving all the code out that I am sole author for. I am encouraging
> others to do the same - I hope within a few months that most of avalon-apps
> will be gone and significant portions of excalibur will also be gone. Paul
> has already moved some stuff out, as has Eung-Ju and I. I have been poking
> the other Peter to do the same.

Why do you think this is good? (I'm not ironic, I'm just curious)

> In time I will start poking some of the Cocoon peeps to migrate some of the
> Cocoon originated stuff back into Cocoon - much better for Cocoon that way
> and hopefully better for Avalon.

I'm *soooo* glad to hear that. Moving stuff from cocoon to avalon was a
mistake. I agree.

The problem is that I don't want to see yet another migration. there are
many avalon committers maintaining that code. As long as this this done,
I don't see a reason to move it back.

> Post fortress release I intend to attempt to get framework cleaned up; marker
> interfaces, component.*, *Selectors deprecated. Provide a solid ECM->
> fortress migration path and finally start process of dumping the crappy code
> we have been carrying for ages.

As long as you provide a sane and socially-acceptable migration path,
I'm all for it.

> At the same time I have consolidating Phoenix. Basically means getting unit
> tests solid and trying to get 95% test coverage on all the supporting
> libraries. I also plan to make it more agile by reducing dependencies,
> reducing duplication, internal decoupling and so forth.

Good stuff.

> In the end I want to see the majority of cornerstone/excalibur/apps gone.
> Framework to be half deprecated, docs to be decrufted. Hows that for sneaky?

Finally I was able to have you speak about what your plans are.

Great.

Now that we know your vision, at least, we can interpret your moves.

Thanks for clarifying. I think this is really helpful for everybody.

Stefano.