avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] lifecycle release
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:15:51 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 14/03/2003 12.10:
> This project used to be the place where people discussed architectural
> issues about new paradigms that extended object orientation.
>
> What happened to that?

Someone decided to reply with smartass comments to technical matters and
discussions.

> Since reaching consensus on Avalon 5 was too hard, several of you are
> trying to push your ideas into the framework by working it thru your
> one-man-show container.

Example?

> This is the problem and Peter appears to be the only one *really*
> watching over what's going on in this project. Probably because he's
> doing some sneaky moves himself so he's more sensible about them.
>
> Sure, he uses his usual smartass tone that really used to irritate me,
> but I'm now able to sense his frustruation and I resonate with it.
>
> One-man-shows have to stop.
>
> *all* of them.
>
> Please, and this is for everybody, work to reach consensus or leave.

Are you implying that the lifecycle extension system is a one-man show?

I remember extensive discussions and changes about them, all here on
this mailing list. I also remember a joint Fortress-Merlin effort on them.

We have a tentative roadmap we have informally agreed upon. IIUC the
only one that does not acknowledge it is Peter. We have discussed *at
lengths* in the past about getting to a single design, and you know what
happened.

We want consensus, yes we do. Here is the roadmap; since you resonate
with Peter, lead us into the discussion (no pun intended) and update the
STATUS file.
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/avalon/STATUS.txt?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

     o  Roadmap

        Avalon will be focussing container development into two efforts.
        The first one is the creation of Avalon ESCA. To this end, most
        existing avalon container projects will refocus to be part of
        that goal.

        The roadmap for this effort is roughly as follows:

        - Milestone 1:  ECM replacement (Codename: Fortress)
        - Milestone 2:  Proper Meta Model (Codename: Merlin3)
        - Milestone 3:  Phoenix Compatible (Codename: Phoenix5)
        - Milestone 4:  Profileable, pluggable container
                         (Codename: Spearhead)

        The second container development effort is the maintainance of
        existing released efforts with an existing userbase, ie phoenix.
        This will merge into the ESCA effort when there is an ESCA
        release compatible with  those existing efforts.

           ECM --> Fortress --> Merlin3 --> Phoenix5 --> Spearhead --> ...
            Merlin1&2 (unreleased)-|  :          |
            All other              |  :(synergy) |
               container dev code -/  :          |

             - verba volant, scripta manent -