avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] lifecycle release
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:41:02 GMT

Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Friday 14 March 2003 20:02, Peter Donald wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 22:10, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>

>>>This is the problem and Peter appears to be the only one *really*
>>>watching over what's going on in this project. Probably because he's
>>>doing some sneaky moves himself so he's more sensible about them.
>>>

>>Please don't. I have been fairly open about what I am going to be doing
>>over next bit.
>>
>>I am moving all the code out that I am sole author for. I am encouraging
>>others to do the same - I hope within a few months that most of avalon-apps
>>will be gone and significant portions of excalibur will also be gone. Paul
>>has already moved some stuff out, as has Eung-Ju and I. I have been poking
>>the other Peter to do the same.
>>
>>In time I will start poking some of the Cocoon peeps to migrate some of the
>>Cocoon originated stuff back into Cocoon - much better for Cocoon that way
>>and hopefully better for Avalon.
>>
>>Post fortress release I intend to attempt to get framework cleaned up;
>>marker interfaces, component.*, *Selectors deprecated. Provide a solid
>>ECM-> fortress migration path and finally start process of dumping the
>>crappy code we have been carrying for ages.
>>
>>At the same time I have consolidating Phoenix. Basically means getting unit
>>tests solid and trying to get 95% test coverage on all the supporting
>>libraries. I also plan to make it more agile by reducing dependencies,
>>reducing duplication, internal decoupling and so forth.
>>
>>In the end I want to see the majority of cornerstone/excalibur/apps gone.
>>Framework to be half deprecated, docs to be decrufted. Hows that for
>>sneaky?
>>

>Hooahh, and how much of that will affect me, just starting to migrate my
>"legacy" application to Avalon-Phoenix?? Not at all? A little bit?

Please note that the comments express by Peter Donald should in no way
be considered as a position of this community or in any way reflective
of the community consensus. Irrespective of the actions of Peter Donald
within or external to the Avalon Community, concrete and viable
solutions exist today to protect any investment you make into the
development of Phoenix components.  However, from a pragmatic
development perspective, I would strongly recommend that you do not use
interfaces or classes under the phoenix namespace - which simply means
that you are building a portable component.  For more information
concerning the development of a code base that is container independent
- you can email requests to either the user or dev list.  For an example
of a complex Phoenix style application that is maintaining container
independence please take a look at the James project.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org