avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] lifecycle release
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:43:58 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> It is just "organisation". Framework CVS/Code/whatever is stable now and one
> of the few pieces we have managed to a decent level of quality. Sure theres
> plenty of stuff about it that still crap but it works and people respect if
> for being stable.

Agreed. There is 'crap' in the framework, as much as 'cobol' is crap or
AS/400 is 'crap', but remove it without providing a significant
(socially and economically) migration path would litterarely make the
world collapse.

> All of the other stuff you mentioned is not anywhere near that level of
> quality of framework - so why group them together. What possible advantage is
> there to pushing bits around? Would it not be more productive to focus on
> improving the quality of the code?

The real issue is: nothing should ever enter the framework CVS without a
previous community design phase aimed to create consensus.

did that phase happen?

after that, nobody should be able to place vetos. avalon is owned by the
community, not by individuals.

> Everytime some gets an idea to reorganize it seems that a half assed job is
> done and we go through months of agony to get stable again ... if that ever
> happens.

I had the same perception but I'm starting to change it given the hard
work done by people (not perfect, but everybody has to learn by making
mistakes).

I think the real issue is to have gump work right.