avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Removal of Excalibur Util causing problems
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2003 16:50:36 GMT
Component (AKA ECM) uses Excalibur Util's ComponentStateValidator
for the test case.  Excalibur Util also has some other useful pieces.
The question is, do we want to take the time and effort to get Excalibur
Util up to snuff for a release *now*, or cut our losses and let it
go.

Consequences:

+ We don't have another utility package we have to migrate elsewhere.
+ We can merge the utilities in with the packages that use them if they
   are needed.
+ We can put ComponentStateValidator and its testcase inside TestCase
   along with the FullLifeCycleComponent test component to ensure the
   integrity of the containers.
- We have alot of work to do to make the changes.
+ Some of the functionality (i.e. Delegator) is taken up by other
   libraries like CGLib.

I think it would be better if we make some of these changes soon,
and kill off the Excalibur (now Sandbox) Util project before it
is even released.

We need to perform a check on all the classes to see if they are
used anywhere.  If not, we can get rid of them immediately.\

Thoughts?