avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: [jira.werken.com] Created: (PNIX-2) Overly verbose exception messages
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 04:33:22 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Down boys ...
>

>>org.apache.avalon.assembly.util.ExceptionHelper functions perfectly.
>>

>This is good.
>

>>Perhaps you should take another look at the work going on around you
>>before handing out missleading statements like the above.
>>

>This should be rephrased.  At least ask what problems he believes that he's
>seeing.

Noel:

For your reference - Pete raised the following statement at the beginning
of the thread:

  > When an error occurs during startup Phoenix will print out the exception
  > multiple times. Each exception displayed will also include nested exception
  > - where usually you do not want to see any exception except those caused
  > inside the application. Instead you can see systen oriented
  > Deployment/Installation/Startup exceptions.
  >
  > This probalem is compounded on jdk1.4 which has the feature that
  > printStackTrace already prints the nested exception. So each printStackTrace
  > on JDK1.4 will print 2n! traces rather than 2n.

I noted a solution that works really well. - Pete responded by stating
that the ExceptionHelper class had "similar" problems.  Pete's statement
was and remains blatantly inaccurate and completely misleading.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org