avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hierarchy.java
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2003 23:53:49 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Stephen,
>

>>The use case I'm referring to is hypothetical (basically I looking
>>forward and considering how a single block can provide aggregated
>>monitoring on resource usage
>>

>Would this address an issue I have, now that I do log rotation?  I used to
>be able to easily monitor the logs using tail.  Even with log rotation
>turned on for httpd, I am easily able to follow the logs because of
>the --previous and --symlink options to the cronolog tool.  With Avalon
>logs, there is no similar option, but if I had the option of multiple
>outputs from a log target, I could have both the rotating log files, and a
>well-known output I could monitor.

Noel:

This is a seperate issue to the question of log listener association.  A
log listener listens for the establishment of a new logging channel
(e.g. m_logger.getChildLogger("whatever") triggers a listener event).
 In the case your describing you simply need to declare multiple logging
targets for the particular logging channel your concerned about.  LogKit
supports this and the configuration model from excalibur-logger provides
support for this as well.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell