avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <ulr...@mayring.de>
Subject Re: [Phoenix] Breaking apart environment.xml
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2003 16:48:33 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> I can't see any disadvantages except that it is a change. However if we
> support the old format for a year or more we should not disrupt any users ...
> hopefully ;)

I can't speak for other users, but I personally don't mind when
something is changed for the better if it is documented properly. By
that I mean that it is explained exactly how the new system works and
what should be done to an old application to make it work with the new
system. In other words:

Something doesn't work anymore and I don't know why: -1

Something continues to work and I don't know why (i.e. the change was
backwards compatible, but I don't know about the new feature): -0

Something doesn't work anymore, but I know why and what to do about it: +0

Something continues to work (backwards compatible change) and I know
what I have to do to make it work even better (using the new feature): +1

Ulrich