avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Terry Laurenzo" <TerryLaure...@amexbf.com>
Subject RE: Possibility for a light weight Phoenix container
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:57:17 GMT
Yes, I can see that the project is structured to allow such a thing, but the relationships
and dependencies on components needed to start a usable kernel seems to change almost weekly
(this is not a criticism... this is just a sign of active development) and are not documented.

Perhaps "formally" was the wrong word. What I meant was that having classes that provided
this behavior as part of the official source tree and unit tests would insulate users (such
as myself) from having to constantly analyze what new changes were made in the Phoenix source
week to week and adapt to it just to keep this embedded launcher working.

Anyway, the development is quite simple, and I wouldn't mind doing it, but what is the proper
mechanism for introducing such an initiative?

Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: Leo Simons [mailto:leosimons@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 10:26 AM
To: dev@avalon.apache.org
Subject: Re: Possibility for a light weight Phoenix container

Terry Laurenzo wrote:
> So, my proposal is to begin defining such a set of components to be
> formally included within Phoenix instead of being developed as an
> add-on.

formally? What is your idea of formally?

> Currently, the add-on approach is difficult because the
> Phoenix source code is in such a state of flux.

flux? Hmm.

> Am I out in left field here or does anyone else have interest in such
> a thing?

definately (which is why those embeddor things were started :D). Many
people have asked for an embeddable phoenix. It should be quite doable;
enabling something like that is why we added the embeddor layer between
launcher and kernel in the first place!

Bring on the patches, I say :D

(disclaimer: I won't actually be doing active development of phoenix in
the forseeable future, so it might be up to you to motivate people to
help you out ;))

cheers,

- Leo