avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: newbie question. Load-balancing/Failover in Avalon/Phoneix?
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:35:26 GMT
On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 02:18, sadaf zargeen wrote:
> This is a message orient application.  To properly
> fail-over I would have one instance that is servicing
> requests. Upon failure, the stand-by server(s) would
> detect failure, negotiate its status to come up as the
> primary server amongst possibly other servers and
> start servicing request by picking up where the other
> applicaiton left off.   Naturaly this carries many
> implications some of which are:
> - how to negotiate being primary server? rating
> system?
> - how to know where to "pick up"? does this mean
> sharing  application state? does this mean sharing
> user session state?
> - if sharing state, using central state/session
> repository(possibly slow, single point of failure) or
> publishing state/session to all other servers
> periodically.
> - what to use as the communication protocol amongst
> servers? socket, jmx(openJMX implementation eg).

This is all interesting questions and I would say that the best way to do this
is to use an application that accesses JMX to do it. We have discussed it
before on one of the mailing lists here but I can't seem to find it atm.

Anyways there is not currently anything in avalon to do this. If you create
something and want to contribute it then I am more then interested in hearing
about it and including it if you want ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
                -- Voltaire