avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] lifecycle release
Date Sat, 22 Mar 2003 01:16:53 GMT
On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 20:32, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Thursday 20 March 2003 16:28, Peter Donald wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:14, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > > Also, if you are requiring me to have dedicated Ant tasks (not
> > > everybody builds with Ant (strangely enough)) to be used when I develop
> > > my Avalon blocks/components, then you ARE raising the bar
> > > significantly.
> >
> > whether it is ant tasks, commandline tools or maven plugins most people
> > use tools of one sort or another so I don't see that as a major barrier
> > of entry. In JDK1.5 it will be part of javac so then there will be 0
> > changes.
>
> Maybe you are more dense than I thought.

hmmm.

> Every project, looked at only from the perspective of such project, have a
> list of "Because..." a particular "oddity" should come to life and it is
> often hard to come up with counter-argument.
> The members of such project are so "self-occupied" (not trying to be rude,
> just don't have a better word at the moment ) that they don't see the
> "bigger picture".

heh - the bigger picture is that this is the way all major technical paths
look like going via ADD. It is native in C#, will be in Java and most major
technical

> Finally, your assumption that JSR-175 will be included in JSR-176 is
> perhaps a bit pre-mature. JSR-176 sure lists itself as targetting Tiger,
> but JSR-176 doesn't list 175.

Given the political context in which it is developed I doubt it will not be
part of Tiger. Especially given that the lead is one hell of a doer.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald