avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: @avalon
Date Sat, 22 Mar 2003 01:12:01 GMT
On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 01:23, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 07:57, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >>It's a name for crying out loud, what's to mature?
> >
> > And Poolable is just a marker interface for crying out loud, whats to
> > mature?
>
> An interface presents more constraints than a tag name. The
> tag name presents a weak contract, the interface presents a stronger
> contract due to the language constructs and strong typing of Java.

I disagree on this. The tag is metadata and metadata should be as strong a
contract as code itself. The only difference between tags and codebased
metadata schems is that codebased metadata schemes require;
* that the .class be loaded to get at metadata
* that the supporting metadata classes be accessible to classloader

> We can alter the values of the names without affecting the runtime
> compatibility of the code.  You can't do that with interfaces.
>
> See where the difference is?

We have different opinions. I dont believe that "We can alter the values of
the names without affecting the runtime compatibility of the code." is true.

Metadata interfaces are not work interfaces and thus never get exposed to
clients and thus they should have 0 effect on client code - only on the
client-container contract. This is exactly the same thing as metadata.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald