avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] lifecycle release
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:28:29 GMT
On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:14, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > Metadata makes the components easier to use, deploy and maintain. You
> > could store it outside the components in config files but then you have
> > to make sure multiple artefacts keep in sync. Having the config files
> > generated from the source (or baked in) makes maintainence simple. Best
> > place to document code is with the code and metadata is just aform of
> > documentation.
>
> We live in an XML world (or at least I do), and having a "unified" XML Meta
> description document, that can be transformed (for compatibility reasons?)
> to each containers requirement, sounds a lot easier to me...

Doesn't to me.

The trend of technology is to add them in. Witness C# and its
incorporation of ADD, witness the success of xdoclet, ejbdoclet etc (Do you
know of anyone who still hand codes EJBs?). Most development technology has
been moving towards self documenting code.

> Especially considering the @tags already in some of my source, from UML and
> JDO (Kodo). It is outright ugly, and after specified (hardly every up for
> change), just occupies vasts amount of precious screen space. Easily get
> half the screen of @tag lines.

so - Its a crap implementation then ;)

Have you looked at ADD (either XDoclet or C#)?

> Also, if you are requiring me to have dedicated Ant tasks (not everybody
> builds with Ant (strangely enough)) to be used when I develop my Avalon
> blocks/components, then you ARE raising the bar significantly.

whether it is ant tasks, commandline tools or maven plugins most people use
tools of one sort or another so I don't see that as a major barrier of entry.
In JDK1.5 it will be part of javac so then there will be 0 changes.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald