avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] lifecycle release
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:32:36 GMT
On Thursday 20 March 2003 16:28, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:14, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > Also, if you are requiring me to have dedicated Ant tasks (not everybody
> > builds with Ant (strangely enough)) to be used when I develop my Avalon
> > blocks/components, then you ARE raising the bar significantly.
>
> whether it is ant tasks, commandline tools or maven plugins most people use
> tools of one sort or another so I don't see that as a major barrier of
> entry. In JDK1.5 it will be part of javac so then there will be 0 changes.

Maybe you are more dense than I thought.
_I_ am  saying that _I_ am shying away from projects (including EJB ;o) ) that
are adding tools, concepts, quirks, you name it, not part of my standard
"toolkit". _My_ toolkit is very small, KISS.

Every project, looked at only from the perspective of such project, have a
list of "Because..." a particular "oddity" should come to life and it is
often hard to come up with counter-argument.
The members of such project are so "self-occupied" (not trying to be rude,
just don't have a better word at the moment ) that they don't see the "bigger
picture".

_My_ bigegr picture is that _I_ am writing code utilizing/interfacing with;

* UML
* EJB
* Kodo
* Servlets
* Netbeans
* Avalon
* Cocoon
* Batik
* kXML-RPC
* jUnit
* Log4J
* (possibly forgot some)

Do you really think I wouldn't mind having one extra tool for each of those?
(I'm sure that other "commercial" developers has lists just as long or
longer.)

There is also a difference between the "project requires" (and comes with) a
tool to build the distro, vs forcing upon me tools, to be able to develop
against that project. Netbeans for instance has several (never bother to
check how many) Ant tasks part of its build process, but I don't need them to
make _my_ things work, and they are not part of _my_ build process.

Finally, your assumption that JSR-175 will be included in JSR-176 is perhaps a
bit pre-mature. JSR-176 sure lists itself as targetting Tiger, but JSR-176
doesn't list 175.
Also, the @ use has not been specified as an "absolute" and the JSR is to
investigate the options available.

An extremely self-centered, self-occupied PITA Avaloner, who doesn't
understand complex stuff, is signing-off ;o)

Enjoy life !!!

Niclas